Live Mesh Tech Preview: Version Update June 18, 2008
The Live Mesh team has been working hard to fix bugs reported by our Tech Preview users, and to include popular feature requests (such as removing the requirement that UAC be enabled in Windows Vista SP1). Below is a list of the most prominent fixes implemented in the latest Live Mesh release. Thank you for all your great feedback!
· Live Mesh is now available in all English-speaking countries (not just the U.S.)
· Removed the User Account Control (UAC) requirement when installing and using Live Mesh with Windows Vista SP1
· Index for Desktop Search now works with Live Mesh folders
· Fixed bug where an underscore in a Hotmail account name returned an "Invalid Hotmail Address" error
· Fixed bug with Silverlight 2 Beta 2 failing to load in Silverlight Media View
· Fixed bug where the notifier tooltip incorrectly indicated that Live Mesh Remote Desktop was unavailable for a computer running in non-admin mode
· Fixed bug where the Live Mesh folder icon was not displayed in the e-mail inviting someone to share a folder
· Fixed one of the bugs that caused Live Mesh to fail to start
· Fixed problem with Live Mesh returning errors when waking from sleep/hibernate
Did You Know?
You can install Live Mesh on multiple devices-then Live Mesh can keep all the folders in your mesh synchronized for you! To add a computer to your mesh, visit www.mesh.com from the computer you wish to add, sign in, and click Add Device on the Devices page.
To get even more from Live Mesh, share folders with friends and family! Simply open a folder you've added to Live Mesh, click Members in the mesh bar, and then click Add.* Your friends will be able to access your folder as well as install Live Mesh on their devices.
* You can enter any e-mail address to invite others to a folder; it doesn't have to be a Windows Live ID. However, they will need to use a Windows Live ID to sign in to and use Live
Other related posts:
Live Event–Tue 10 March: NZ Tech Podcast with Dai Henwood, Michelle Dickinson (Nanogirl), Paul Spain
Sneak Peek: HP Envy X2
Want to start a career in IT Support?
Comment by freitasm, on 19-Jun-2008 10:01
No UAC requirement? Now I am installing it!
Comment by freitasm, on 19-Jun-2008 12:04
Hmmm. Working fine with both Windows Vista SP1 32 bit and 64 bit.
But do we have to synchronise everything with the Live Desktop? My Documents folder is way more than 5 GB and I can't change the option to not synchronise with the Live Desktop...
Comment by BobW, on 19-Jun-2008 15:35
"Comment by freitasm, But do we have to synchronise everything with the Live Desktop?"
It appears so.
This is the most disappointing feature, from my perspective. It would be much better if I could syncronise files between members of the mesh independently of whatever files I put on the shared Live Desktop. Perhaps in a later version.
Comment by chiefie, on 19-Jun-2008 16:11
I have just installed the Live Mesh client. The created sync folder is on the actual desktop with blue-ish folder icon.
You just need to copy file (and folder i think) that you want to keep in-sync with every devices as well as Live Desktop (web) in that folder. If you have more folders on Live Desktop (web), I think they're automatically created on the PC desktop too.
Anyhow, I created a folder on Live Desktop after I installed Live Mesh client app, log in, then the folder magically appeared on my desktop. Adding file into that desktop folder will upload the file to the Live Desktop.
AFAIK, no pre-requisite folder synching took place. And I think you can share a Live Desktop folder with anyone.
Comment by TheBartender, on 19-Jun-2008 17:40
That has been confirmed as a coming feature by the LiveMesh team...
There will be the option to sync with whatever devices you want without having to sync with the live desktop
One must bear in mind this product is only at Tech Preview stage, its not even in beta...so many features that are to be included are still be written right now.
Comment by chiefie, on 25-Jun-2008 16:03
In my previous comment about not able to change the location of the Live Mesh folder on the client PC, apparently it seems possible if you go to Live Mesh Folders in My Computer, and right-click on a particular folder, change sync settings then you can pick/browse for the local folder location. And you can change which device(s) to sync to, you cannot avoid Live Desktop.
Add a comment
Please note: comments that are inappropriate or promotional in nature will be deleted.
E-mail addresses are not displayed, but you must enter a valid e-mail address to confirm your comments.