Research in Motion (RIM) have launched the BlackBerry PlayBook in the United States and Canada today starting at US$499 / CA$499 for the 16gb model. Availability in other markets such as New Zealand, Australia and United Kingdom have yet to be confirmed.
Initially available in 16gb (US$499), 32gb (US$599) or 64gb (US$699) models with WiFi connectivity, more models are expected in the coming months. Naturally many potential buyers may wait for the 3G edition to be released before making a purchase.
PlayBook Specifications include:
- 7" LCD screen (1024 x 600 screen resolution)
- Front camera - 3 megapixel still, 1080 HD video
- Rear camera - 5 megapixel still, 1080 HD video
- Java, Adobe Mobile Air, Adobe Flash support
- Video calling
- 1 GHz dual-core processor
- GPS, Orientation Sensor (Accelerometer), 6-Axis Motion Sensor (Gyroscope), Digital Compass (Magnetometer)
- Stereo speakers and stereo microphones
- Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n)
- Bluetooth 2.1+ EDR support
- Micro USB and Micro HDMI ports (1080p output supported)
- Weight: 425 grams
More details as they come to hand. We expect to discuss the PlayBook on an upcoming episode of the NZ Tech Podcast.
Other related posts:
Live Event–Tue 10 March: NZ Tech Podcast with Dai Henwood, Michelle Dickinson (Nanogirl), Paul Spain
Sneak Peek: HP Envy X2
Want to start a career in IT Support?
Add a comment
Please note: comments that are inappropriate or promotional in nature will be deleted.
E-mail addresses are not displayed, but you must enter a valid e-mail address to confirm your comments.