The news many have been awaiting has arrived. Apple confirmed at their launch event this morning details of the iPhone 5 which will be priced from $1049 in New Zealand and available from 28 September. Also disclosed were new iPods but those details will come separately to this.
- 4" display: 1136 x 640 screen resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio
- 7.6mm thick
- Adding to existing 3G capabilities - HSPA+, DC-HSDPA, LTE (4G)
- Compared to iPhone 4S - 20% lighter
- Apple A6 CPU and Graphics (twice as fast as previous A5)
- 8MP rear camera - improved over iPhone 4S
- Panorama mode stichs multiple images automatically creating a 28MP image
- Front camera supports 720p HD video
- New 'Lightning' connector for charging, USB connection (reversible)
iOS 6 Software
- Available for existing iOS devices 19 September
- New Maps GPS app with Turn-by-turn driving instructions
- Safari: iCloud Tabs (synchonised tabs between iPhone, iPad, Mac)
- Passbook: Boarding passes, tickets, loyalty cards
- Calling feature additions (such as SMS auto response)
- Enhanced Accessibility
- Siri featured extended
- Integrated Facebook
- Facetime calls accepted over mobile data network (3G, 4G)
- Preorders start 14 September (USA, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Australia, UK)
- Shipping 21 September: USA, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Australia, UK
- Shipping 28 September: New Zealand, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland
- Later shipping: Additional countries (for a total of 100 countries)
- Remains same as iPhone 4S was previously in US - similar expected elsewhere other than possible exchange rate variations
- NZ pricing confirmed is $1049 for the 16GB model, $1199 for the 32GB model and $1349 for the 64GB model (all prices incl. GST and in NZD)
More coverage coming via NZ Tech Podcast. I will also be discussing this at 8.25am on TV3's Firstline show hosted by Rachel Smalley.
- Paul Spain (Twitter: @paulspain)
Other related posts:
NZ Tech Podcast 321: $3000+ Free Gadgets, One Million Podcast Downloads, US Homeland Security vs Travellers, Banks vs Apple
NZ Tech Podcast 314: Meet Quickflix new Hollywood owner, a temptation to share Ransomware, Homes.co.nz update
NZ Tech Podcast 313: Amazon Go, John Key’s legacy, Goodnest, Media Design School, Network 4 Learning, Uber Eats NZ
Comment by LibraryGadgetGirl, on 13-Sep-2012 20:38
Thanks for the information in an easy to understand format.
Add a comment
Please note: comments that are inappropriate or promotional in nature will be deleted.
E-mail addresses are not displayed, but you must enter a valid e-mail address to confirm your comments.